Filipino tapa is addictive: simple pantry ingredients marry salty, sweet, sour, and savory flavors into one dish. Oyster mushroom make a good substitute for beef if you’re going meatless. You can top this tapa recipe with garlic bits and serve with brown rice.
Mushroom Tapa Recipe
Mushroom Tapa Ingredients
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1/4 Cup muscovado sugar or white sugar
- 2 tablespoons Calamansi Juice or vinegar
- 1 head Garlic crushed or chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 500 Grams oyster mushrooms separted (about 6 to 7 lightly packed cups)
- vegetable oil
- Garlic sliced and fried, to serve
- garlic rice to serve
- tomatoes sliced, to serve
- Combine soy sauce, ¼ cup water, sugar, calamansi juice, garlic, and pepper in a large bowl. Add mushrooms and mix. Set aside and allow to marinate for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Warm 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Drain mushroom tapa; reserve marinade. Cook mushrooms in batches until deep brown on both sides, stirring occasionally to allow sugar to caramelize. Transfer mushrooms to a serving dish.
- Add reserved marinade to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Pour marinade over mushrooms.
- Top tapa with fried garlic bits. Serve with garlic rice and sliced tomatoes.