For dinner tonight, serve tilapia in a new way! Forget about frying and try this healthy, comforting dish instead.
Mustasa-Wrapped Tilapia in Gata Recipe
Mustasa-Wrapped Tilapia in Gata Ingredients
- 3 pieces tilapia whole, scaled and gutted
- 8 cloves Garlic peeled and smashed
- 1 50-gram piece ginger peeled and sliced
- 1 bundle mustasa leaves or mustard greens
- 1 white onion sliced
- 1 400-ml can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons Fish sauce plus more to taste
- steamed rice to serve
- Sprinkle salt and pepper inside and outside the cavity of the fish. Stuff the fish with 1 garlic clove and a couple slices of ginger each. Wrap each tilapia in mustasa leaves. Depending on the size of your leaves, this could take 2 to 3 leaves for each fish.
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, scatter the onion slices as well as the remaining garlic and ginger. Lay the prepared tilapia over the aromatics in one layer. Tuck the rest of the mustasa leaves between and on top of the fish.
- Pour coconut milk over the fish and drizzle patis over.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until the fish is cooked. Check halfway through to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom, then ladle some of the sauce over the fish. You’ll know the fish is cooked when it flakes easily at the point of a knife. Taste and adjust seasoning by adding more patis, if needed. Serve with steamed rice on the side.