A meringue cloud tops this trifle made of cubed cake, pudding, and bananas. This easy no-bake dessert is perfect for weekends with friends and family. It only takes a few minutes to put it together!
No-Bake Banana Trifle Recipe
No-Bake Banana Trifle Ingredients
- 1 Cup cornstarch
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 250-ml packs evaporated milk
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon banana essence
- 12 pieces butter cake store-bought, cubed
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 Cup caster sugar
- 6 bananas cavendish
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot, whisk cornstarch, sugar, evaporated milk, and water. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring, until thick. Stir in banana essence. Remove from heat, and transfer to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down on the plastic until it touches the pudding surface to prevent a skin from forming. Chill overnight or until cold.
- Cube butter cakes. Transfer to a large bowl, and pack cubes onto the bottom. Set aside. Remove plastic from cold pudding, and whisk until softened, adding a little warm water to loosen the mixture until of pouring consistency. Pour over cake cubes. Chill.
- When ready to serve, simmer water in a small saucepan. Whisk egg whites and sugar in a large stainless steel bowl. Place bowl over simmering water, and whisk until sugar granules dissolve (rub meringue to check if still gritty). Water shouldn’t touch the bowl. Once sugar has dissolved, remove from heat, and using a mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk until mixture becomes glossy and cool.
- To serve, peel and slice bananas. Top pudding with bananas. Dollop meringue on top. Torch if desired. Scoop onto dessert bowls, and serve immediately. Recipe originally published in the May 2017 issue of Good Housekeeping Philippines.