Reinvent your basic camaron recipe by making your own Old Bay Seasoning! Mix salt with these powdered spices: celery seed, mustard, red pepper, black pepper, bay leaf (laurel), cloves, allspice, ginger, mace, cardamom, cinnamon, and paprika.
Old Bay-Seasoned Camaron Recipe
Old Bay-Seasoned Camaron Ingredients
- 1/2 can all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons old bay seasoning divided
- 3/4 Cup water Old Bay seasoning
- 1 kilo tiger prawns deveined, heads and shells removed
- 1/2 Cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- Preheat a deep sauté pan over medium heat with enough oil to reach about halfway up the sides.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning, and water with a whisk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once oil is hot enough, grab a prawn by the tail and dip in the batter, letting any excess drip off. Gently place in the hot oil and cook until browned and prawns are lighter in weight. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining prawns and batter.
- Make the dip: in a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, milk, and remaining Old Bay. Serve with camaron. Recipe oroginally published in the December 2015 issue of Good Housekeeping Philippines.