An orange creme brulee is a refreshing twist to the classic flan dessert!
Orange Crème Brûlée Recipe
Orange Crème Brûlée Ingredients
- 1 Cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 Cup sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 1 Cup fresh orange juice
- 2 large Egg
- Egg yolks only
- orange zest
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Place cream, sugar, and orange juice in a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Beat eggs and egg yolk in a bowl.
- Once cream boils, turn off heat. Remove vanilla bean and slice in half lengthwise. Scrape off seeds and add to the cream mixture. Mix well.
- Slowly add a third of the cream mixture to the beaten eggs. Whisk vigorously until well combined.
- Add remaining cream mixture and whisk to combine. Pour mixture into 6 (4-ounce) ramekins.
- Place ramekins in a roasting pan. Fill pan with hot water until halfway up the ramekins. Place pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 30 to 45 minutes. Test for doneness by slightly jiggling the pan to see if the custard is set; it should be firm at the center.
- Let cool at room temperature then chill for 2 hours to cool completely.
- To serve, sprinkle 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar mixed with grated orange zest on top of each ramekin and caramelize with a blowtorch. Alternatively, you can do this in a preheated 450°F oven or a turbo broiler set on high. Place ramekins on the top rack and broil until sugar is caramelized. Serve immediately.