Green papaya takes the limelight in this salad, perfectly complemented by a dressing that is sweet, salty, sour, and spicy all at once.
Som Tam (Green Papaya Salad) Recipe
Som Tam (Green Papaya Salad) Ingredients
- 4 tablespoons Palm sugar
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 4 to 5 red finger chilies (siling haba) seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried shrimp (hibe)
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 green papaya shredded
- 3 stalks long beans (sitaw) sliced
- 6 Cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts crushed
- cilantro (wansoy) (leaves), for garnish
- lime wedges to serve
- Make the dressing: Dissolve palm sugar with fish sauce in a saucepan over low heat. Let cool. Transfer to a large bowl, add remaining dressing ingredients, and mix thoroughly.
- Add green papaya, long beans, tomatoes, and peanuts to the bowl. Toss to combine.
- Let stand for 30 minutes before serving. Divide among bowls and garnish with cilantro. Serve with lime wedges on the side.