This cake recipe is made with milky pastillas! Increase condensed milk to half cup to make it extra sweet!
Pastillas Cake Recipe
Pastillas Cake Ingredients
- 13/4 Cup cake flour
- 1/2 Cup caster sugar divided
- 3/4 Cup powdered milk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Butter cut into 16 pieces
- 1/2 Cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs separated
- 1/4 Cup condensed milk
- 1 Cup fresh milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 chocolate trees for garnish
- 1/3 Cup fresh milk
- 1 1/4 Cup powdered milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups Powdered SUgar sifted
- 1 Cup Butter softened
- Preheat oven to 325?F. Grease, flour, and line bottoms of 3 6-inch pans.
- Meanwhile, sift flour into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add 1/4 cup sugar, powdered milk, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer running, add butter, one piece at a time. Pour in canola oil. Increase speed to Medium until mixture forms clumps. Decrease speed to Low.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks, condensed milk, fresh milk, and vanilla. With mixer running, gradually pour egg mixture into butter mixture. Gradually increase speed to Medium until mixed.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk egg whites on Medium-High until soft peaks form. Add remaining sugar; whisk until stiff. Fold into batter in 3 batches using a spatula.
- Divide batter evenly among pans. Bake 25 minutes or until a toothpick emerges from cake with a few crumbs. Turn upside down on racks until cool.
- Meanwhile, make Milk Buttercream: Mix hot milk and powdered milk; cool. Beat butter on Medium speed. Add milk mixture and vanilla; beat until mixed. Add powdered sugar in batches, beating well after each addition. Increase speed to High; beat until smooth and creamy.
- To assemble cake: Spread milk buttercream between layers; cover with crumb coat. Chill until hardened. Frost cake with remaining buttercream. Place white chocolate trees on top of cake. Chill until firm; slice and serve. Recipe originally published in the December 2015 issue of Good Housekeeping Philippines.