Salty notes from the bagoong balayan, the fermented anchovy sauce from Batangas, give this salad’s dipping sauce a boost of flavor. Try this Pinoy vegetable salad today!
Pinoy Vegetable Salad Recipe
Salty notes from the Bagoong balayan, the fermented anchovy sauce from Batangas, give this salad's dipping sauce a boost of flavor.
Pinoy Vegetable Salad Ingredients
- 1/4 Cup bagoong balayan
- 2 tablespoons Calamansi Juice
- 1 Table Spoon water
- 2 pieces siling labuyo (bird's eye chili) chopped (optional)
- 1 bunch winged beans (sigarilyas) chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 1 bunch okra halved
- 4 pieces ripe tomatoes cut into wedges
- 4 pieces Salted Egg (itlog na maalat) cut into wedges
- 1 piece green Indian mango cut into thin half moons
- Make the Dipping Sauce: Mix the bagoong balayan, calamansi juice, water, and siling labuyo, if using, in a bowl and set aside.
- Bring a stockpot of water to a boil. Once boiling, blanch the sigarilyas 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp yet tender. Drain and set aside. Blanch the okra until tender and a bright green.
- Arrange the vegetables on a plate with the tomatoes, itlog na maalat, and green mango. Serve with the bagoong balayan dip on the side. TIP: You may also try preparing this the Batangueño way: Sauté garlic in oil before adding thebagoong balayan.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
CONTINUE READING BELOW