Mirin and ginger turn moist, tender liempo into an easy pork belly rice topping. Complete your donburi with a medium-boiled egg.
Braised Pork Belly Recipe
Braised Pork Belly Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 600 Grams pork sliced into 1-inch chunks
- 4 stalks Leeks sliced
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 2 pieces star anise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1/4 Cup mirin (japanese sweet rice wine)
- Salt to season
- 4 pieces Egg soft-boiled and shelled
- rice (steamed), to serve
- Heat oil in a saucepan over high heat. Sear pork belly on both sides until brown. Drain excess oil.
- Transfer pork to a deep pot. Add enough water just to cover the meat. Add leeks, ginger, and star anise. Bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer. Remove any impurities that rise to the surface. Add sugar, soy sauce, and mirin. Season with salt.
- Cover pot and cook until meat is tender, adding more water if mixture is too dry; about 1 hour. Add eggs and cook for 5 more minutes. Serve topped over steamed rice.