Have you tried making tinola with pork before? Try switching it up in the kitchen! You add some chicken pieces into the soup to retain that classic tinola flavor.
Pork Tinola Recipe
Pork Tinola Ingredients
- 2 tablespoonsq canola oil
- 1 Small red onion peeled, quartered
- 1 1-inch piece ginger peeled, cut into sticks
- 1/2 kilo pork pigue cubed
- 4 cups water hugas bigas
- 2 pieces chayote or 1 green papaya, peeled, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoons patis or tobaaste
- 1 Cup malunggay leaves
- ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium-size pressure cooker over medium heat, heat oil. Saute onion and ginger until fragrant.
- Add pork cubes. Lightly brown pork pieces on all sides. Pour in hugas bigas or just enough water to cover 1 inch over the meat. Bring to a boil, then simmer, skimming off scum as it rises to the surface. Cover, then lock lid; simmer 20 minutes or until just tender. Release pressure before opening pot.
- Add chayote (or papaya). Bring back to a boil, and simmer only until vegetables are tender. Season liquid with patis, to taste. Stir in malunggay leaves just before serving. Serve with steamed rice while hot. Recipe originally published in the April 2016 issue of Good Housekeeping.