Try this chowder recipe for a comforting bowl of soup! A chowder, which is a type of soup, is extra comforting with no-fail pantry staples: potatoes, mushrooms, and bacon.
Potato and Mushroom Chowder Recipe
Top this chowder with crunchy bacon!
Potato and Mushroom Chowder Ingredients
- 5 strips bacon
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic chopped
- 1/2 Cup button mushrooms sliced
- 3 medium Potatoes peeled, cubed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups water or asneeded
- 1 298-gram can Condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 142-gram can Vienna sausages drained, chopped
- Salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Cook bacon until crisp in a pot over medium heat. Remove bacon from pot, and transfer onto paper towels. Set aside.
- Return pot to the heat, and sauté onion and then garlic in the bacon oil until softened. Add mushrooms, and cook until heated through. Add potatoes. Sear potatoes in the hot bacon oil until they just start turning translucent at the edges.
- Sprinkle in flour, stir to coat potatoes and mushrooms, and mix into the bacon oil. While stirring,pour in enough water to cover potatoes. Bring to a boil, then let simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender.
- Add mushroom soup once potatoes are tender, and use a whisk to break up any lumps as the soup heats. Stir in sausages, and simmer chowder until just heated through. Season with salt and ground black pepper, to taste. Ladle into bowls, and top each with crumbled bacon. Recipe originally published in the September 2015 issue of Good Housekeeping Philippines.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
CONTINUE READING BELOW