Nothing beats a whole roasted chicken! It’s small enough to be managed and requires less preparation than a huge turkey. It’s also the more frugal option—although no less tasty. This is a simple roast chicken recipe, but one with lots of tricks to make it extra special: it’s essentially a one-pan meal, excluding the gravy you’ll need to prep afterwards.
Roast Chicken with Gravy Recipe
Roast Chicken with Gravy Ingredients
- 1 whole Chicken
- 1 piece lemon halved
- sea salt to taste
- olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh oregano divided
- 1 head Garlic sliced in half horizontally, plus 5 cloves, unpeeled
- 500 Grams baby potatoes washed, unpeeled, and halved
- 200 Grams Native Red Onions (Sibuyas Ilocos) peeled
- 1 Cup water
- 1/4 to 1/3 Cup All-purpose cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Pat chicken dry with a paper towel. Rub chicken with the juice of half a lemon, salt (about 2 teaspoons), pepper, and a good drizzle of olive oil, making sure to rub inside the cavity as well. Stuff the cavity with half the oregano, sliced garlic, and the remaining lemon half. Tie legs together with kitchen twine.
- Place potatoes, onions, and unpeeled garlic cloves in a large baking dish that will fit everything in a single layer.
- Pick the leaves off the remaining oregano; sprinkle over the potatoes and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and toss (preferably with your hands) so all the vegetables are thoroughly coated and seasoned well.
- Pour water around the potatoes. Place chicken, breast side up, on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper on top.
- Bake chicken in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until juices run clear when you pierce the chicken between the leg and thigh.
- Remove chicken and vegetables from the oven; transfer to a serving platter. Cover the platter with foil, forming a tent over the chicken to keep it warm.
- Strain juices from the baking dish into a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in 1/4 cup cream until thoroughly combined and just slightly thickened. Add a little more cream, if needed. Taste and adjust seasoning. Remove from heat and serve alongside the roast chicken.