Reserve this festive chicken recipe for special occasions! Chestnuts can be bought in the supermarket already pre-peeled. Feel free to use these as needed. This simply seasoned roast chicken is tasty, and served with this sweet and savory stuffing, is a meal on its own.
Roast Chicken with Sausage Stuffing Recipe
This simply seasoned roast chicken is tasty!
Roast Chicken with Sausage Stuffing Ingredients
- 1 Chicken patted dry, around 1.8 kilos
- 2 teaspoons Salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 Cup chesnuts roasted, peeled, halved
- 7 pieces Pandesal use day-old pandesal, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 American breakfast sausages lining removed
- 1 medium red onion peeled, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic peeled, finely chopped
- 3 sage leaves roughly chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 Cup milk
- 3/4 Cup chicken drippings or broth
- Oil as needed
- Preheat oven to its highest temperature setting (about 480?F). Oil a large cast iron pan. Set aside.
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper, including the cavity. Transfer to cast iron pan. Turn down heat to 350?F and roast chicken 60 minutes, basting with fat from drippings during last 15 minutes, until browned and juices run clear when pierced. Remove from oven, and set aside to rest.
- Meanwhile, make stuffing: in a baking dish, toss chestnuts with pandesals. Set aside.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, heat about 2 Tbsp. oil. Brown sausage, stirring and breaking ground, meat until crumbled. Transfer to baking dish. Saute onion, then garlic, until softened. Transfer to baking dish, and toss mixture. Beat eggs with sage, milk, and drippings in a bowl. Season to taste. Pour over pandesal mixture.
- Bake stuffing at 350?F until top has browned and the mixture is no longer wet. Serve with chicken. Recipe originally published in the December 2015 issue of Good Housekeeping Philippines.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
CONTINUE READING BELOW