The original Hainanese chicken is a simple yet super flavorful steamed chicken and rice meal. Why not take it up a notch and roast it? This delivers a delicious inihaw flavor to steamed chicken so you get the roasted version of a Hainanese chicken meal!
Got a turbo-broiler or air fryer? Feel free to pop it in there to roast the chicken skin until it browns and becomes delicious.
Roast Hainanese Chicken Recipe
Roast Hainanese Chicken Ingredients
- 3 pieces chicken leg quarters
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teatspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (patis)
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 Cup uncooked rice washed
- 1 piece chicken bouillon cube
- 2 cups water
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger minced
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (patis)
- Prepare the chicken: Place the chicken in a bowl. Coat well with sesame oil, pepper, and fish sauce. Set aside.
- Prepare the rice: Place rice in the rice cooker pot. Dissolve chicken bouillon cube in water. Pour mixture over rice. Add garlic, ginger, and fish sauce. Mix well.
- Place chicken on top of rice. Switch on rice cooker and cook chicken and rice, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees F or 200 degrees C.
- Once cooked, transfer chicken to a baking dish. Combine oyster sauce, soy sauce, and honey in a bowl. Brush mixture over chicken until well coated.
- Roast chicken in the preheated oven until browned, about 15 minutes. Serve chicken with Hainanese rice, hoisin sauce, and sriracha.