What makes this version of this dish more exciting and flavorful? We serve it with atsuete rice and we also mix in a special ingredient: Star margarine!
We serve it with atsuete rice and we also mix in a special ingredient.
- 1/2 Cup Vinegar use Sinamak
- 1/4 Cup white vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 2 stalks lemongrass (tanglad) pounded
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 clove Garlic pounded
- 1 tablespoon patis (fish sauce)
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 kilo Chicken use chicken thighs
- 3/4 Cup Achuete Oil (annatto oil) (recipe follows)
- 1/2 Cup margarine
- 2 teaspoons chicken powder
- 4 cups rice cooked
- 1/4 Cup Garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- Achuete Oil (annatto oil) for coloring, recipe follows
- 1/2 Cup Achuete Seeds (annatto seeds) for atsuete oil
- 1/4 Cup water for atsuete oil
- 1/2 Cup canola oil for atsuete oil
- Make the marinade: Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.Marinate chicken thighs in the mixture for at least 2 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Thread chicken onto barbecue sticks. Prepare a charcoal grill. When it’s ready, cook the chicken over a medium flame. Mix together atsuete oil, star margarine, and chicken powder. Baste the chicken with the atsuete oil mixture every few minutes until the meat is well done and juices run clear.
- Make the atsuete rice: in a frying pan, sauté garlic in canola oil over medium heat. When garlic has turned light brown, add rice and continue sautéing. Add atsuete oil a little at a time until you have reached the desired color. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with the chicken.
- Make the atsuete oil: In a saucepan, combine annatto seeds (atsuete) and water. Bring to a boil, then turn off heat and add canola oil. Mix well until the liquid turns red. Strain seeds and discard. use oil as directed.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
CONTINUE READING BELOW