This seafood dish is light and tangy! Find the freshest clams (halaan) and mussels (tahong) possible. Give it extra oomph by adding a squeeze of citrus juice.
Halaan at Tahong sa Gata (Seafood in Coconut Milk) Recipe
Halaan at Tahong sa Gata (Seafood in Coconut Milk) Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 shallots (sibuyas Tagalog) chopped finely
- 1 thumb-sized piece turmeric (luyang dilaw) chopped finely
- 1 stalk lemongrass (tanglad) trimmed, outer layers removed, and chopped finely
- 1 red chili pepper (siling labuyo)
- 2 cups coconut milk (gata)
- 500 Grams mussels fresh, rinsed well
- 500 Grams Manila Clams (Halaan) scrubbed and soaked in water
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce (patis)
- 1/2 Cup cilantro (wansoy) leaves only
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook shallots, garlic, turmeric, lemongrass, and chili until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, mussels, and clams. Cook, covered, until shells open, about 5 to 7 minutes. Discard any shells that remain closed.
- Remove from heat, and transfer mussels and clams to a serving bowl. Stir in fish sauce and cilantro into the broth in the pot. Adjust seasoning, if necessary. Pour broth over mussels and clams. Serve hot.