This seafood dish is light and tangy! Find the freshest clams (halaan) and mussels (tahong) possible. Give it extra oomph by adding a squeeze of citrus juice.
Halaan at Tahong sa Gata (Seafood in Coconut Milk) Recipe
Taste the sea in this light seafood dish.
Halaan at Tahong sa Gata (Seafood in Coconut Milk) Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 shallots (sibuyas Tagalog) chopped finely
- 1 thumb-sized piece turmeric (luyang dilaw) chopped finely
- 1 stalk lemongrass (tanglad) trimmed, outer layers removed, and chopped finely
- 1 red chili pepper (siling labuyo)
- 2 cups coconut milk (gata)
- 500 Grams mussels fresh, rinsed well
- 500 Grams Manila Clams (Halaan) scrubbed and soaked in water
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce (patis)
- 1/2 Cup cilantro (wansoy) leaves only
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook shallots, garlic, turmeric, lemongrass, and chili until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, mussels, and clams. Cook, covered, until shells open, about 5 to 7 minutes. Discard any shells that remain closed.
- Remove from heat, and transfer mussels and clams to a serving bowl. Stir in fish sauce and cilantro into the broth in the pot. Adjust seasoning, if necessary. Pour broth over mussels and clams. Serve hot.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
CONTINUE READING BELOW