This Israeli dish is similar to the Spanish Pisto Manchego and is made with eggs, tomatooes, and a lot of spices. Serve with crusty bread!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can diced tomatoes (800 grams)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 large eggs
- Salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- water as needed
- Pandesal to serve
- Heat olive oil in a lg. cast iron pan over med. heat. Saute onion until starting to brown slightly. Add garlic, and cook until softened.
- Sprinkle with thyme, and stir until aromatic. Add tomatoes and balsamic vinegar, and stir until just mixed. Cook until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil then simmer. Break eggs on top of tomato mixture then cover. Simmer until eggs are just set. Serve with pandesals. Recipe originally published in the Jan/Feb 2015 issue of Good Housekeeping Philippines.