This tasty sinampalukang langka side dish is the perfect complement to grilled or fried Filipino viands. The wonderful tanginess refreshes the palate and cuts through the richness of meats.
- 4 cups unripe jackfruit (langka) peeled, cored, and cut into 1 and 1/2-inch strips
- 2 cups water
- 4 Tamarind Pods to taste
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger sliced into 4 pieces
- 1 finger chilies (siling pangsigang)
- 1/2 Cup fish sauce (patis) to taste
- fresh tamarind leaves for garnish
- Put jackfruit and water in a stockpot and bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes or until jackfruit is almost tender.
- Add tamarind pods, onions, ginger, and chili; cook until tender.
- Add shrimp and cook until they turn pink. Season with fish sauce. Discard tamarind pods. 4 Remove from heat and add tamarind leaves. Serve hot.