When you think Filipino food, sinigang and nilaga are just two classics one can think of. So, can you just imagine if the two were put together into one delicious dish? That’s what you get when you cook sinigang na baka or beef sinigang.
All the delicious flavors you would get in sinigang – the sourness of sampaloc, the fresh okra, kangkong, labanos, and tomatoes – is added to the heartiness of tender beef rib chunks that you’d normally get in a nilaga recipe.
Sinigang na Baka Recipe
Sinigang na Baka Ingredients
- 10 cups water
- 1 kilogram beef short ribs 3-inches long each
- 1 medium red onion quartered
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 40-gram sachet sinigang mix
- 1 tablespoon Fish sauce
- 1/2 Cup radish (labanos) thinly sliced
- 2 pieces green chilies (siling pangsigang)
- Salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 bunch kangkong leaves
- Place water and beef in a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add onion and simmer for 1 hour. Make sure to skim off the impurities of the meat.
- Add tomatoes, and simmer for another 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Add the sinigang mix, fish sauce, radish, and green chilies. Let simmer until radish is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Add in the kangkong leaves, cover with a lid, and let cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Serve hot.