This sinigang na hipon recipe, a traditional Filipino sour shrimp soup, uses bayabas (guava) as a souring agent.
Sinigang na Hipon sa Bayabas Recipe
This shrimp sinigang recipe becomes sour from unripe guava fruit.
Sinigang na Hipon sa Bayabas Ingredients
- 6 cups water
- 8 pieces Guava (bayabas) halved
- 1 piece tomatoes quartered
- 1 piece long green chilies (siling pangsigang)
- 1 piece red onion quartered
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
- 1/4 Cup radish (labanos) thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup okra sliced
- 1/2 Cup sitaw (string beans)
- 1/2 Cup eggplant sliced
- 1 bundle kangkong (water spinach) leaves
- Salt to taste
- 500 Grams Shrimp cleaned and trimmed, head on, shell on
- Place water, bayabas, tomatoes, chili, and onions in a pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer for 20 minutes. Mash the bayabas a little bit with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add the shrimps, fish sauce, radish, okra, eggplant, and sitaw then simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add the kangkong leaves and simmer for another minute. Season to taste. Serve hot.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
CONTINUE READING BELOW