Here’s a new way to prepare shrimp: coat them in a sweet, salty, and spicy sauce.
Soy-Glazed Crispy Shrimp Recipe
Soy-Glazed Crispy Shrimp Ingredients
- 1 Cup chicken stock (or ¼ chicken bouillon cube dissolved in 1 cup hot water)
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup Sweet chili sauce
- 4 cloves Garlic smashed
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ground black pepper
- 3/4 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds toasted
- vegetable oil to deep-fry
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 kilo Shrimp (large), peeled and deveined with tails left on
- 2 large eggs beaten
- steamed white rice to serve
- chopped green onions to garnish
- Make the soy-and-chili glaze: Combine chicken stock, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, sweet chili sauce, and garlic in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add sesame oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add dissolved cornstarch and cook for 1 minute or until thick. Add sesame seeds. Set aside and keep warm.
- Heat oil in a deep, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Combine cornstarch, flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl. Dip a shrimp in beaten egg, letting the excess drip off. Dredge in cornstarch mixture.
- Gently add shrimp to hot oil. Repeat with remaining shrimp, cooking in batches to avoid overcrowding the pot. Cook for about 1 minute or until coating is crisp and golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Pack rice in containers, top with shrimp, drizzle with glaze, and garnish with green onions.