This pasta recipe is a simple home-cooked meal that spells comfort like no other. Who doesn’t love a hearty dish of spaghetti and meatballs? Use a mix of pork and beef to make juicy meatballs, and add lots of flavor to your tomato-based spaghetti sauce by using lots of aromatics.
Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe
Spaghetti and Meatballs Ingredients
- 3 slices bread made into breadcrumbs
- 1/3 Cup fresh milk or as needed
- 1 500-gram pack spaghetti noodles
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium-sized white onion peeled, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 800-gram can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/4 kilo ground pork
- 1/4 kilo Ground beef
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- 1/3 Cup parsley leaves chopped
- 1 large Egg
- 1 Cup parmesan cheese grated
- Salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Oil for deep-frying
- In a large bowl, wet breadcrumbs with milk. Set aside. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Sauté onion until translucent. Transfer half the onions to the bread mixture. Stir tomato paste into the pan. Add tomatoes, breaking up the fruit. Simmer. Season with salt and ground pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Prepare pot for deep frying. Then, mix wet breadcrumbs (will look like paste), onions, ground meats, bacon, parsley, egg, and Parmesan cheese. Test for seasoning by cooking a small portion; adjust as needed. using an ice cream scoop, make 20 2-inch round meatballs. Deep fry meatballs until browned. Drain on a rack over paper towels.
- Toss cooked spaghetti with tomato sauce. Serve with meatballs. Recipe originally published in the November 2016 issue of Good Housekeeping Philippines.