Luncheon meat is a very versatile ingredient: you can use it as part of a pasta dish, in a sandwich, or have it on its own. This sandwich gets a boost of flavor from the veggie relish—it’s bound to be your favorite merienda.
Spam and Relish Sandwich Recipe
Spam and Relish Sandwich Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 slices Spam
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 piece red bell pepper sliced thinly
- 1 piece green bell pepper sliced thinly
- 1 medium white onion sliced thinly
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 4 slices sliced bread toasted
- 2-4 leaves Lettuce
- 4 slices tomatoes
- In a medium-sized pan, heat oil. Place the sliced Spam and drizzle the sugar over it. Cook until it has caramelized or the Spam is browned. Repeat on the other side. Take off heat and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the bell peppers and onions. Cook until the onions have turned translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the sandwich: Lay the lettuce, cooked vegetables, Spam, and tomato slices on one piece of bread then cover it with another piece. Serve immediately.