Fried calamari is made spicier and tastier with a variety of spices added to the breading, transforming these squid rings into a snack that’s more flavorful and definitely more appetizing.
Use frozen squid rings! We found that frozen squid remains softer, more tender than recipes we tried that used fresh squid.
Spicy Calamari Recipe
Breaded squid rings get spicy.
Spicy Calamari Ingredients
- 500 Grams squid rings frozen
- 2 tablespoons Calamansi Juice
- 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup cornstarch
- 1 Cup Japanese breadcrumbs or panko
- 1 Cup crispy breading mix
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs beaten
- Oil for frying
- Rinse frozen squid to thaw. Marinate squid in calamansi juice for 10 minutes in a large bowl. Drain and pat dry squid. Heat oil, about 2 inches deep, in a pot over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine flour, cornstarch, breadcrumbs, crispy breading mix, 5-spice powder, and ground red and black peppers and process until well mixed. Transfer to a bowl or shallow dish. Dredge each thawed squid ring in the flour mixture. Tap to coat lightly, dip in beaten egg, and roll again in the dry flour mixture. Repeat with remaining squid.
- Deep fry squid rings in heated oil until golden in color, about 1 1/2 minutes. Drain well. Serve with chili sauce on the side.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
CONTINUE READING BELOW