Craving for spicy food? Look to the Bicol region for inspiration! Bicol Express is a Filipino dish that marries two favorites: chilies and coconuts.
Stuffed Bicol Express Recipe
Stuffed Bicol Express Ingredients
- 15 finger chilies (siling pangsigang)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white onion chopped
- 1 tablespoons Garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 250 Grams pork use ground pork
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons white onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon Garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger grated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons shrimp paste (bagoong alamang)
- 3/4 Cup coconut cream (kakang gata)
- 3/4 Cup coconut milk (gata)
- Make a slit along the length of each chili pepper, making sure they can sit with slit side facing up. Seed and rinse. Set aside.
- Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Sauté onions, garlic, and ginger for 2 minutes. Add pork; cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- Stuff each chili pepper with pork, just enough so stuffing peeks out of chilies.
- Make the sauce: Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Sauté onions, garlic, and ginger for 2 minutes. Add bagoong; sauté for 1 minute. Add coconut cream and coconut milk; simmer for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place chilies, slit side up, one by one in the pan. (Sauce should not cover chilies; slits should be exposed.) Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or until cooked.