Take the classic hamonado a step further by getting creative with the stuffing: Try smoked ham, queso de bola, or your favorite vegetables.
Stuffed Pork Hamonado Recipe
Stuffed Pork Hamonado Ingredients
- 3 kilos pork (pork belly slab), boneless, skinless, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 whole pickles sliced into 2 by 1/2 inch sticks
- 2 medium carrot sliced into 2 by 1/2 inch sticks
- 1 liter pineapple juice
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 2 medium white onion quartered
- 3 bay leaf
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons peppercorns
- Salt to taste
- 16 cups pork stock
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 Cup Butter divided
- 8 canned whole pineapple slices
- Place pork belly slab, fat side down, on a clean work surface. Place pickles and carrots on the center of the slab. Roll tightly and secure with kitchen twine.
- Place pork in an extra-large pot. Add pineapple juice, brown sugar, onions, bay leaves, cinnamon, thyme, oregano, and peppercorns. Season with salt. Add just enough stock or water to cover pork. Bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer. Cook for 21/2 to 3 hours or until tender. Transfer pork to a rack to drain.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan until almost smoking. Sear pork until golden brown. Set aside.
- Bring sauce in the pot to a boil then reduce heat to simmer. Add dissolved cornstarch and mix until sauce thickens. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Strain sauce.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a frying pan and add 3 to 4 pineapple slices. Cook until lightly golden. Transfer to a platter. Repeat with remaining butter and pineapple slices.
- Slice pork into 1/2-inch-thick pieces. Place pork slices on top of pineapples. Pour 1 cup sauce over pork. Serve remaining sauce on the side. Serve hot.