There are few things we love more than a great snack. This sweet and spicy dilis or dried anchovy fish is great on hot, freshly steamed rice or eaten on its own. Another great way to spruce up this sweet and spicy dilis recipe is by tossing it with a snack mix of peanuts, green peas, broad beans, and corn chips to make it into the ultimate snack to pair with something cold to drink. You can also combine it with our spiced mixed nuts recipe!
Love it spicer? We have an even spicer dilis recipe that’s tossed with fresh siling labuyo for that zing of heat.
Sweet and Spicy Dilis Recipe
Sweet and Spicy Dilis Ingredients
- 2 cups cooking oil
- 150 Grams dried dilis
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons banana ketchup
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 cloves Garlic crushed
- toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- spring onions Chopped, for garnish
- In a deep pan, heat 1 cup oil. Add the dilis and deep fry for 45 seconds to a minute. (Do not overcook or it will taste bitter.) Drain oil and set aside.
- Mix banana ketchup, sugar, and chili powder. Pour over fried dilis and mix well making sure the dried fish are all well coated.
- Heat 1 cup oil in pan, saute garlic, and add coated dilis. Cook on medium heat until sugar has caramelized. Remove from pan. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped spring onions.