These tangy chicken fingers combine two favorites: fried chicken and sinigang! Don’t skip making the sinampalukang gata sauce—it completes the dish.
Tangy Chicken Fingers Recipe
Tangy Chicken Fingers Ingredients
- 30 Grams Tamarind Fruit (Sampalok) skin left on
- 1 65-ml pack coconut cream (kakang gata)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (patis)
- 2 80 to 100-gram Chicken (use skinless chicken breast fillet), sliced into 3-inch long, 3/4-inch wide pieces
- Salt to taste
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour seasoned with salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon sinigang sa kamias powder mix
- 1 Egg beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 Cup breadcrumbs seasoned with 1 tablespoon sinigang sa kamias pwder mix
- 2 cups vegetable oil to deep-fry
- cilantro (wansoy) to garnish, optional
- Make the sinampalukang gata: Boil sampaloc in ¾ cup water for 20 to 30 minutes or until soft. Mash sampaloc and strain through a sieve. Combine ¼ cup strained sampaloc pulp, coconut cream, and fish sauce in a bowl; season to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use. (You can make this the day before.)
- Lightly season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place flour, egg, and breadcrumbs separately in 3 shallow bowls.
- Dredge chicken in flour, shake off excess, dip in egg, then coat with breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a deep or heavy-bottomed pan. Deep-fry chicken in hot oil for 6 to 8 minutes or until cooked and light golden brown in color.
- Serve with sinampalukang gata and garnish with cilantro, if desired.