A mix of herbs and spices—cumin, coriander, and cilantro—gives this fried chicken dish its distinctive Thai flavor.
Thai-Style Fried Chicken Recipe
A mix of herbs and spices—cumin, coriander, and cilantro—gives this dish its distinctive Thai flavor.
Thai-Style Fried Chicken Ingredients
- 1/2 Cup Wansoy (Cilantro) roughly chopped
- 6 cloves Garlic smashed and peeled
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon shrimp paste (bagoong alamang)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 kilo Chicken (a mix of drumsticks, wings, and thighs)
- cooking oil for deep-frying (such as vegetable, corn, canola, or peanut oil)
- 1 1/2 cups cornstarch
- Sweet chili sauce to serve
- Make the marinade: combine all ingredients in a food processor and process to make a paste. alternately, you can grind all the ingredients together using a mortar and pestle.
- Combine marinade and chicken pieces in a bowl or zip-top bag. marinate, covered, for at least 6 hours or preferably overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oil in a deep, heavy-bottomed pan until temperature registers 350°F on a deep-fry thermometer. Keeping as much of the marinade on the chicken pieces as possible, dredge chicken in cornstarch.
- Fry chicken until cooked through and skin is golden and crisp, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels to remove excess oil. Serve with sweet chili sauce on the side.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
CONTINUE READING BELOW