These cookies are delicious on their own, but the toffee center gives them added texture, sweetness, and a whole new look. Make and share this crunchy cookie dish in 5 easy steps!
Toasted Walnut Cookies with Toffee Centers Recipe
Toasted Walnut Cookies with Toffee Centers Ingredients
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 piece Egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 14/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup walnuts toasted and chopped finely
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1/4 Cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar firmly-packed
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 1/3 Cup white chocolate melted, for drizzling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine butter, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Using a handheld or electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla; cream for another 2 minutes. Stir in flour and walnuts just until flour is absorbed.
- Drop cookies by 2 tablespoons, 2 inches apart, onto prepared baking sheets. Press lightly with your palm to flatten. Using the end of a wooden spoon, indent the centers. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until pale gold in color. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Make the toffee filling: place all ingredients in a heavy-bottomed pot and stir over medium-low heat until a nice caramel color is achieved, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly before using.
- Using a pastry bag or a spoon, drizzle melted white chocolate, if using, over cooled cookies. Spoon toffee onto the center of each cookie. Store in 1 layer in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
TIP: Store leftover toffee in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. It goes well with bananas and whipped cream.