This easy Filipino tochong tilapia recipe is best served with lots of rice. Tocho is traditionally made with tahure (fermented tofu) that is readily available in wet markets. Alternatively, mashed tausi (salted black beans) can be used in its place.
Tochong Tilapia Recipe
Tochong Tilapia Ingredients
- 1 400 gram to 600 gram tilapia gutted, scaled, and cleaned
- Salt to taste
- Oil to deep-fry and saute
- 1 tablespoon Garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons white onion minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 4 green native tomatoes quartered
- 1/2 piece (about 15 to 20 grams) tahure (fermented soy cake) crumbled
- 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons native vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 bunch Bok Choy (Chinese leafy cabbage) blanced, to serve
- Season fish with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a deep pan. Deep-fry fish until brown on both sides, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pot. Sauté garlic, onions, and ginger until fragrant. Add tomatoes and tahure; stir for 1 minute.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, and ½ cup water. Season with sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add fried fish, making sure fish is submerged in sauce. Cook for 5 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve immediately with blanced bok choy on the side.