Need a quick and delicious meal? Try this tofu steak recipe! Requiring only pantry staples, it’s the perfect dish for busy weeknights. The flavor of this dish comes from the sauce—it’s the salty-sour kick and the sweet, mellow onions that make it mouthwatering. This recipe also uses one of the most basic cooking methods, sautéing, making this an easy side dish or main dish. Just make time to press the tofu to help it absorb the marinade. Serve with a steaming cup of rice to make it extra good!
Tofu Steak Tagalog Recipe
Tofu Steak Tagalog Ingredients
- 500 Grams firm tofu (tokwa) sliced into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 2 to 3 onion sliced into thin rings
- 4 cloves Garlic sliced thinly
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1/4 plus 2 tablespoons water
- 4 teaspoons Calamansi Juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Lay tofu slices on a clean kitchen towel and cover with another towel. Place a tray on top of the tofu and weigh down with canned goods or plates for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Make the marinade: mix together all ingredients in a bowl. Add tofu and marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Sauté onions until soft and browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In the same pan, heat 1 more tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Drain tofu and fry in batches until dark brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Add more oil as needed. Transfer tofu to a plate.
- In the same pan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Pour in marinade and boil for 1 minute. Adjust seasoning as needed, adding water by the tablespoon if the sauce is too salty.
- Remove from heat and pour sauce over tofu. Top with onions. Serve with steamed rice and vegetables, if desired