Mix it up and make your adobo meatless with this easy swap to tofu.
The process is almost the same when it comes to making the swap from meat like pork or chicken to tofu. The big difference is that instead of simmering the meat until tender, you fry the tofu squares until golden brown on all sides before tossing it together with the adobo sauce.
To make this dish even sweeter, pair the salty adobo sauce with some sweetness from the coconut cream. You not only get the heft of meat with the tofu, but you also get the flavors you want in every bite that the tofu absorbs.
Tokwang Adobo Sa Gata Recipe
Tokwang Adobo Sa Gata Ingredients
- 2 500-gram packs firm tofu (tokwa) cut into squares
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 head Garlic cloves separated
- 2 pieces dried bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup coconut cream (gata)
- cooking oil for deep frying
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, cook tofu squares in enough oil for deep frying until golden brown on all sides. Drain on a rack over paper towels. Set aside and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat about 2 tablespoons oil over in a wok over medium heat. Sauté garlic, bay leaf, and whole peppercorns for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, white vinegar, and water. Simmer for 5 minutes or until vinegar s acidity is cooked off.
- Add coconut cream and stir to mix. Add cooked tofu to the wok and toss to combine. Bring to a gentle simmer and simmer until just heated through and the tofu has absorbed some of the adobo sauce. Serve while hot.