These snackable sandwiches are all about texture: crisp pork katsu and soft, fluffy white bread. Instead of Japanese mayo, try barbecue sauce for a modern take on this tonkatsu sandwich. Prep it for a delicious baon!
Tonkatsu Sandwich Recipe
These baon-worthy sandwiches are all about texture: crisp pork katsu and soft, fluffy white bread.
Tonkatsu Sandwich Ingredients
- 4 120-gram fillets pork (use pork tenderloin), pounded until 1/8-inch thick
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups Japanese breadcrumbs (Panko)
- vegetable oil to fry
- Japanese mayonnaise to serve
- 8 slices white bread crusts removed
- Season both sides of pork with salt and pepper. Dredge meat in breadcrumbs.
- Fill a large frying pan with vegetable oil until ½ inch deep; heat to 320ºF. Fry fillets over medium heat until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Drain on a wire rack or pat with paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Spread Japanese mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread. Top mayonnaise with pork fillet and top with another bread slice, mayonnaise side down. Slice each sandwich into 4 pieces and serve immediately.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
CONTINUE READING BELOW