Level up your tortang talong with chunks of tokwa to bulk up the ground meat to make it heartier. It’s your usual vegetarian eggplant omelet recipe made better!
Tortang Talong With Tokwa Recipe
Tortang Talong With Tokwa Ingredients
- 3 pieces eggplant
- 4 tablespoons Oil divided
- 6 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 medium red onion minced
- 1/4 kilo ground pork
- 2 small squares firm tofu (tokwa) cubed small
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- banana ketchup to serve
- Grill eggplants directly on the stove in the flame until charred and soft. Cool. Carefully peel the skin off each of the eggplants. Set these aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan, and add onions and garlic. Saute until fragrant.
- Add ground pork and cook for 5 minutes. Add soy sauce and sugar, and continue cooking until meat is thoroughly cooked.
- Add the diced tokwa and cook with the pork until well combined and the tokwa absorbs some of the soy sauce (tokwa will turn brown). When the pork and tokwa mixture is cooekd through, set aside.
- In a bowl, beat 3 eggs and combine with the pork-tokwa mixture. In another bowl, beat the remaining 2 eggs. Take one eggplant and dip in the beaten eggs making sure both sides are coated.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a frying pan. Add the egg-soaked eggplant then top with a spoonful of egg-pork-tokwa mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on one side. Add a bit more egg on top. When the bottom has set, flip the eggplant over and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. When the tortang talong is done, set it aside on a plate.
- Repeat the cooking process with the remaining eggplants. Serve hot with rice and banana ketchup.