This ube macapuno cake will surely impress guests. The cake starts with a basic ube base, then sweetened macapuno strips in the filling and topping. It takes less than an hour to make and is sure to grab attention as the dinner table. Want to make this dessert extra special? Add a few cherries to give it a pop of color.
Ube Macapuno Cake Recipe
The cake starts with a basic ube base, then sweetened macapuno strips in the filling and topping.
Ube Macapuno Cake Ingredients
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/3 Cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 8 large Egg separated
- 1/2 Cup vegetable cooking oil
- 1/2 Cup milk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ube flavoring
- 3 cups whipped cream
- 1 1/4 Cup Powdered SUgar sifted
- 1 tablespoon ube flavoring
- 2 cups macapuno strips
- Grease and flour the bottoms of two 9x2-inch round cake pans.
- Whisk together cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl until well combined. Add yolks, oil, milk, and ube flavoring; whisk until smooth. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites almost until stiff peaks form. Fold the whites into the yolk mixture in two additions. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes. Let the cake rest for 3 minutes (or until it falls below the top edge of the pan), then invert the cake until cool. If the cake feels as if it will fall out of the pan, let it cool right side up.
- Make the icing: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip cream until medium peaksform. Gradually add powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Add ube flavoring.
- Assemble the cake: Slice off cake tops to keep the height uniform and to level off surface. Reserve trimmings and place in a food processor to turn into crumbs. (Click to see How to Slice a Cake in Even Layers)
- Place one cake layer on top of a cake board. Place about 1 cup whipped cream over the cake, then spread evenly using an offset spatula. Add about 1/3 to 1/2 cup macapuno strips. Top with the other cake layer, then ice the cake with the remaining whipped cream, covering the top and sides.
- Dust sides with the ube cake crumbs. Use remaining cream to pipe shells on the borders. Decorate cake top with macapuno strips, placing them on the center of the cake inside the piped borders. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
CONTINUE READING BELOW