Top these vibrant ube-flavored puto with grated cheddar cheese for a sweet, salty combo that you can enjoy as is or paired with your afternoon merienda.
Ube Puto Recipe
Ube Puto Ingredients
- 3/4 Cup rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Cup fresh milk
- 1/2 Cup evaporated milk
- 100 Grams ube halaya
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- red food coloring Optional
- blue food coloring Optional
- cheddar cheese grated, for serving
- Combine rice flour, flour, cornstarch, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine fresh milk, evaporated milk, ube halaya, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Mix well using a whisk or spoon until smooth, making sure that there are no ube halaya clumps.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients while mixing. Stir until mixture is will combined. Add drops of red and blue food coloring in order to enhance the purple color if desired.
- Scoop the puto mixture into buttered puto molds, and place in a preheated steamer.
- Steam over low heat for approximately 20 minutes or until risen and cooked through.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top of each and on the side as desired.