Cheese puto topped with melty cheese may be all you need in a puto. You can always do better! Why not stuff it with ube halaya for that classic ube-cheese flavor combo that we just can’t get enough of?
You get a buttery soft puto topped with melty cheese. When you take a bite of one still warm from the steamer, the ube halaya is softened and literally melts in your mouth. You won’t want another kind of puto after this!
Ube Halaya-Stuffed Cheese Puto Recipe
Ube Halaya-Stuffed Cheese Puto Ingredients
- 3/4 Cup ube halaya Chilled
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Cup coconut milk
- 1/4 Cup salted butter melted, cooled slightly
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup rice flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 440-gram block quick-melting cheese sliced into 16 pieces
- Oil as needed to grease muffin tins
- Divide the ube halaya into 16 portions. Roll the portions into balls. Place on a plate, and keep chilled.
- Meanwhile, prepare a steamer. Brush oil all over 16 medium puto molds or 3 6-cup cupcake baking pans that will fit in your steamer. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together sugar, eggs, coconut cream, and melted butter with a whisk until smooth.
- Sift in rice flour, all-purpose flour, and baking powder. Whisk until smooth and there are no more visible lumps.
- Pour the mixture by the 1/4 cupful into the prepared molds. Drop a chilled ube ball into each.
- Steam over medium heat, about 7 to 10 minutes, in the prepared steamer. (Cover the lid of the steamer with a kitchen towel to prevent water droplets from dripping onto your puto.) Place cheese on top of each puto and steam for 30 seconds or until slightly melted.
- Remove the puto molds from the steamer. (Puto should spring back when the tops are gently pressed to test for doneness.) Cool for 1 minute then immediately remove from the puto molds to avoid sticking. Place on a cooling rack. Steam any remaining puto batter with ube balls as needed. Serve while warm or allow to cool before serving.