Make the usual suman extra fun by stuffing it with ube halaya and forming them into balls! The kids will have a blast helping you prepare this sweet treat.
Ube-Stuffed Suman with Latik Recipe
Make the usual suman extra fun by stuffing it with ube halaya and forming them into balls!
Ube-Stuffed Suman with Latik Ingredients
- 500 Grams malagkit rice
- 1/2 Cup ube halaya
- 1/2 Cup macapuno sweetened, sauce only
- peanuts peanuts crushed, for topping
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- Soak rice in cold water for at least 6 hours or overnight. Drain rice from the soaking water, rinse, and drain again.
- Prepare a large piece of cheesecloth (katsa) by soaking it in water and wringing out most of the water until just barely damp. Line a steamer with the cheesecloth. Place rice in the steamer and cook over high heat for 20 to 30 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Make the latik sauce: Combine coconut milk and sugar in a medium saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring regularly, for 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens and has reduced slightly.
- Once rice is cooked, immediately transfer to a bowl and add 1 cup of the prepared latik sauce. Mix well to combine.
- Form rice into balls: Using a small ice cream scooper, take ½ tablespoon of the prepared rice. Stuff with ube halaya and form into balls.
- Serve suman balls with remaining latik sauce. Top with sweetened macapuno and crushed peanuts, if desired.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
CONTINUE READING BELOW