This is a delicious vegan alternative to the classic meat bolognese recipe. Make sure to simmer the sauce slowly—just like you would any classic bolognese—to allow the flavors to develop.
Vegetable Bolognese Recipe
Vegetable Bolognese Ingredients
- 20 Grams dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 Cup hot water
- 1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Cup carrot finely chopped
- 1 Cup white onion finely chopped
- 1 Small red bell pepper cored, seeded, and chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon Garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt to taste
- 150 Grams fresh mushrooms chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 Cup red wine
- 50 Grams cream cheese cubed
- 450 Grams spaghetti noodles cooked according to package directions until al dente
- 1/4 Cup parmesan cheese freshly grated or shaved
- Place dried shiitake mushrooms in a bowl and pour hot water over. Let soak until soft and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add carrots, onions, bell peppers, and garlic; cook until onions are translucent. Add thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper; cook for another 2 minutes.
- Drain shiitake mushrooms; reserve the liquid. Chop shiitake mushrooms finely; add to pan together with the soaking liquid.
- Add fresh mushrooms and tomato paste; continue cooking. Pour in red wine; bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until liquid has reduced by half.
- Add cream cheese and stir until well combined.
- Add cooked pasta and toss well. Add parmesan cheese as you mix. Serve hot.