The healthiest dishes aren’t always the ones that we expect. Take this delicious and healthy example. This is a meatless sinigang. There are no chunks of pork, no slices of fish, and no substitutes for any of these either. It’s all vegetables, and it’s magnificently satisfying nonetheless. It’s all about the super flavorful soup that can be served with almost anything or served on its own on a rainy and chilly day.
Veggie Sinigang Recipe
Who said sinigang had to have meat?
Veggie Sinigang Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 Small red onion peeled, quartered
- 1 Small tomato quartered
- 1 1/2 liters water
- 1 20-gram pack sinigang sa sampaloc mix
- 1 small piece white radish (labanos) peeled, sliced into rounds
- 5 pieces okra sliced
- 1 medium talong (eggplant) trimmed, cut into quarters
- 1/2 bunch string beans (sitaw) cut into 3-inch lengths
- 1/2 bunch kangkong leaves and tender stems
- siling pangsigang Optional
- In a medium pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and tomatoes and saute until just translucent and the tomatoes softened. Pour in water and sinigang mix. Stir to dissolve. Bring to a boil.
- Add labanos and simmer until almost tender. Add okra, talong, and sitaw, and simmer just until tender. Stir in kangkong leaves and tender stems. Add siling pangsigang, if using. Serve while hot.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
CONTINUE READING BELOW