This pork dish is a tomato-based stew, studded with pork shunks, Vienna sausage, red bell peppers, and chorizo. It’ also has sweet pickles—this lends a sweet-tangy flavor that other stews such as menudo do not have.
Waknatoy (Pork Stew with Pickles) Recipe
Waknatoy (Pork Stew with Pickles) Ingredients
- 1 kilo pork use shoulder or butt, sliced into roughly 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 Cup pickle juice
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 Onions sliced into chunks
- 75 Grams tomato paste
- 1 Cup water (you may also use beef stock)
- 1/2 Cup sweet pickle chunks
- 1/4 kilo Vienna Sausage sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup grated cheddar cheese
- Season the pork with soy sauce and pickle juice. Set aside.
- Sauté the garlic in pre-heated oil until light golden brown.
- Add the onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add the marinated pork and let it simmer. When the pork has changed color, add the tomato paste. Stir until the tomato paste coats the pork.
- Add water or stock then simmer for 30-45 minutes on low heat while stirring occasionally. Add more water, if needed.
- Add the pickle chunks and simmer for another half hour until tender.
- Add the sausages, brown sugar, and cheese. Simmer for 5 minutes more and serve.