This meatball sandwich recipe is perfect for big appetites: there’s a cheesy surprise tucked into this hefty sandwich!
Meatball Sub Recipe
Meatball Sub Ingredients
- 500 Grams Beef use lean ground beef
- 1 piece white onion chopped finely and sautéed in oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 piece apple peeled and grated
- Salt to season
- 150 Grams cheddar cheese sliced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 Cup vegetable oil for drizzling
- 4 loaves french bread halved lengthwise
- lettuce leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 Cup white onion diced
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 400 Grams canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup water
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves sliced into thin strips
- Combine beef, onions, parsley, and apples; season with salt and pepper. Fry a small piece to test the seasoning; season with more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Form meat mixture into golf ball-sized pieces. Flatten ball on the palm of your hand to make a patty. Place a cheese cube at the center. Shape patty into a ball and place on a baking tray. Repeat with the rest of the ground meat mixture. Drizzle with oil.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 400°F for about 15 to 20 minutes or until brown and cooked through.
- Make the marinara sauce: Heat olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until light golden in color. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add white wine, if using, and reduce until almost dry. Add tomatoes and water. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat, stirring from time to time, for about 15 minutes or until slightly thick. Season with salt and pepper. Add basil at the last minute. (You can purée the sauce if you want it smooth.)
- Warm meatballs in marinara sauce for about 5 to 10 minutes in a pan over medium heat. Arrange 4 meatballs on a French bread loaf and top with lettuce.