Tender and juicy, that’s a little bit creamy and has a touch of sweetness—that’s how perfectly cooked shrimps should taste like. The gentle heat of steaming gets you exactly that. Dip it in a flavorul, umami-packed dip and you’ve got an amazing appetizer.
When preparing, you can boil the shrimp heads with water and spices for a delicious shrimp broth. How to do it? Remove the heads from the bodies and reserve for a different recipe. With a pair of kitchen shears, cut the shell on the back of the shrimp and then use a knife to make a shallow cut along the back of the shrimp to remove the vein without removing the shell.
Steamed Shrimp With Sesame Mayo Dip Recipe
Steamed Shrimp With Sesame Mayo Dip Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon betsin (MSG)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 Cup mayonnaise
- 1 kilo medium shrimp heads off, deveined, shells on
- Make the dip: Toast the sesame seeds by adding the black and white sesame seeds into a dry stainless steel pan over medium-high heat. Continuously toss the seeds using a spatula. Remove from the heat once the white sesame seeds turn a light brown. Set aside in a small bowl to cool.
- In a small saucepan, heat soy sauce, MSG, and sugar over low heat. Once sugar is dissolved, turn up heat to medium-high and bring soy sauce to a boil. Immediately remove the saucepan from the heat, and pour in a slow steady stream into a bowl with the egg yolks while whisking briskly. (This will temper and cook the egg yolks.) Set aside to cool to room temperature. Once cooled, whisk sesame oil into the soy sauce mixture. Then, whisk in the mayonnaise. Set aside.
- Cook the shrimp: Fill a large pot with 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer.Place prepared shrimps in a steamer basket or bowl and place in the pot above the simmering water. Cook until pink, 7-12 minutes. Serve cooked shrimps immediately with the dip. If desired, shell the cooked shrimp before serving.